Now, here's a good one for you consider. What would our towns and villages look like some time after our modern society had broken down, when there were no utilities such as water supplies, gas and electricity? What would happen to modern buildings which rely on these utilities, which were not installed with fire places or wood burners to keep the occupants warm during the winter, where water was not readily available nearby or where there was insufficient space to grow adequate amounts of food when there were no supermarkets to go to? This is what I have been considering this evening. I have set this scenario in a location fairly well known to me and tried to imagine what it would look like hypothetically. It's an interesting one. This is not quite the same as 'Life After People', a programme on TV last year which depicted a world without humans. There are still humans on the planet in my novel (obviously – though with a reduced population!), however, resultant poor living standards for those who have survived would certainly equate with that of the Dark Ages. In Britain at this time, the economy has become neo-feudal (a term I think best describes the post-apocalyptic society in general) so I could imagine that the styles of accommodation for the surviving masses is going to be pretty dismal. It's another challenge – and something I'll report on tomorrow as I progress further with the composition of this particular section.
Owen Law - Author of Dragon Line
Dragon TagsArticle Recommendations Books Britain climate change Current Affairs dragon line Dragon Vids Economic Collapse Energy Crisis Fantasy Global Warming History Location Feature Novel Oil Price Oil Shock Owen's Novel Report Owen Law peak oil Post-Apocalyptic post-peak Science Science Fiction Shropshire Uncategorized Wales Web/Tech Weblogs Writing youtube
- 'Snowflake' millennials are the most stressed generation | Daily Mail Online #stressmanagement #stresscontrol… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 43 minutes ago
- Yoga, Meditation Reverse Effects of Stress-Related Health Disorders #newsmax #stressmanagment #mind-body interventi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Stress can be good for you, psychologist explains | Daily Mail Online #stresscontrol #stressmanagement #goodstress ow.ly/JIDM30hNT7R 6 days ago
- The scientific reason why exercising too much can make you put on weight #cosmopolitan ow.ly/sY9230gUHrk… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- This simple daily ritual leads to a good night's sleep - Business Insider ow.ly/qnTO30gT6Ij #sleep #mindfulness 1 month ago